Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Here comes the ‘Happy Birthday’!

Right from childhood, everybody is fascinated by those two words. And yes, those two words are always together. My younger cousin Rohan used to say, ‘Udya maza Happy Badde’ ahe, and that’s what I feel today :-)

Many a times I try to convince myself that there is nothing great in the day, it is just another day. I will get up the same way, get ready, have my same idly-dosa breakfast, come to the office, go about the same clients, friends, colleagues, go home late and go to bed. All this will be interrupted with a flurry of phone calls (That’s what I expect ;) ) and the day goes down as yet another day.

But should it be? It’s the day in my life which brought me into this world; I opened my eyes for the first time to see this beautiful world. This is the very same day my parents, relatives and their friends were overjoyed because of me, it is a day all too important in their lives.

It was a great feeling. When in school, I used to take those chocolates with me. Used to stand on the stage during the morning assembly with a ‘colored dress’ and then everybody would sing in ‘Happy Birthday to You’ just for me. And then the final moment came in when I had to say ‘Thank you my dear friends’ right there in front of the mike. Let me tell you, that was the greatest stage fear I ever had in my life! Then distributing those chocolates within the class and then going all around the school distributing those sweets to the teachers, the principal and also the bai (Maids). I still remember the joy I always had in getting that Happy Birthday card from our father principal and the anger I had for those maids who used to make the most of getting my chocolates.

Things changed after school. Never ever did I feel the same excitement again.

Wake up Parikshit, It’s yet another day :-)

4 comments:

kiran said...

hey, look it the same way today.
Today too u r going to distribute sweets to ur collegues, going to wear a new dress n enjoy lots of special things. aren't u?
May All Your Dreams Come True!
Happy Birthday Dear!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Parikshit! Wish you a very very Happy Birthday. Time really flies... I vaguely remember travelling to Nagpur for your barse... :-)
And of course.. my favorite memory associated with the "Baby You" is you singing
"Wimaaan udate kase bhayankar... bomb phekte kase "(as in marathi bomb not the english bomb) :D

You made us all laugh so hard!!
Take care..

Anonymous said...

Hey, Parikshit dude, Happy B'day! ..belated :-( I read your blog just now and realised I missed your BIG day. Like Minu I remember our Nagpur trip for your barse ..and Shekhar mama, choosing me :-) over everybody to disclose your name, before it was announced to all the attendees.
I also remember the B'day routine at LFS ..gosh was that major excitement or what??
I think B'days are perfect time to celebrate ..hope you did.

Parikshit said...

Hi Shilpa tai,
I didn't enjoy as much as I wanted to as it was a working day but yes, did have a good time.

And about LFS, it was a major exitement indeed at that time, looks so stupid today ;)