Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Storms galore in Ban-galore

Saturday Evening, after Ajay Devgan, it was Rain God’s turn to say, “Main Aisa Hi Hoon!!” What I experienced that day was my worst ever fight with nature and today when I am safe at home, I can think of the adventure to be something thrilling. But this adventure could have been a misadventure pretty easily.

It was a sunny Saturday evening when I and one of my friends went out for a Movie in Bangalore’s famous PVR Cinema. As we started for home on my bike, we were sure the rain is going to come down heavily. As I tried to race against time to reach home quickly, there it poured, and how!

The wind left us caught in a leaves-storm and then in a hail-storm of the worst kind I have experienced myself. As I tried to take my bike closer to home, the hail-stones were hitting us like bullets; thank God that day I picked up the helmet at the last moment.
There was water gushing in from everywhere, winds trying to blow me away and initially there were no living objects in sight while later there were so many that Bangalore also managed to have a traffic jam at that juncture. It was really an experience, to be caught in a traffic jam with knee deep water and getting hit left and right with hail-stones!

We somehow stopped at one joint for 5 minutes and then daringly took the bike over muddled roads, footpaths, dark alleys, and even overflowing potholes. It was a thriller in the end so surely the movie was paisa vasool! We were soaked to the bones and had experienced the real power of nature, cold and raw.

The next day’s newspapers were obviously overflowing with reports of Deaths, of people, of trees, of traffic, of roads and the government looking in equal awe as I was! For the statistics, there were 130 electricity poles which went down in south Bangalore alone and innumerable no. of trees which bit the dust (or may be mud). Bangalore is long demanding a metro status from the Indian Government but until it has a disaster management policy in place for this fury of nature which it experiences more often than anywhere else, that dream may well be - a dream.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmnn, it's really getting tough here - raining cats & dogs everyday.
A very well narrated experience...
All Bangloreans out on last saturday will agree & govt will surely improve the infrastructure :)

Hrishi Diwan said...

which movie was this?

Oh, and nice to meet an Indian at least optimistic that there will be a sane disaster management policy any time soon!

Anonymous said...

Thank god fr the helmet.U were hail but hearty...was a blessing.I am very much enjoying u boy's blogs.it's like having a dialogue with u there.Keep it up!

Parikshit said...

hey hrushi, It was "Mein Aisa Hi Hoon" with Ajay Devgan and Esha Deol. You only game with Star Wars hnn ?